Doing business in a foreign country can be a strange experience. The odd thing about business travel is to some extent, it is a mixture of what you know the very strange. The business you are going out to do you know how to do. Whether it discussing a new business project, developing a software product or attending a seminar or conference, the business part of your business trip is probably not the hardest part.
But if you are new to business travel, there are some aspects to it that are very different from travel for leisure and ways to prepare for the trip that will make or break whether it goes well or you come home frustrated in your efforts. Just like any business venture, the key word for success in this venture is preparation. Above all, have your business program well organised and ready to use when you get there. If you are giving a presentation, have it finished, the PowerPoint slides prepared and tested and all of your equipment ready to go when you set out. The sheer fact that you are prepared for the work you are going to this new city to do will relieve your tension tremendously.
But preparation doesn’t stop just in planning for a successful business effort. Do your homework about the place you are going and how you will handle the trip once you get there. Here are some key things you should think well in advance about to assure your trip goes well.
* Your plane flight. As soon as you know your destination, book that flight. The earlier you nail that down, the more you know you will have a flight and that your choice of seats is assured. This can make business travel by air much less stressful. Search for flights and see what works for you at usandbeyond.com/flights
* Driving in a new town. If you are going to drive in a new town, be sure you have maps and know how to negotiate the roads. Google maps is great for this. It’s a whole different world to drive in one part of the world to driving in the next – do they drive on the left or right hand side of the road. If you can avoid driving, make sure your ground transportation is arranged ahead of time. If you need to rent a car – search the biggest brands and get a huge choice via usandbeyond.com/car-hire
* Accommodations. Obviously, book your hotel well in advance to assure you will have a room when you get there. Only in situations where you are not sure where you will end up should you put this off. The last thing you want would be to need a room at 11 p.m. and everything in town is booked up. Get an array of hotels to choose with special offers from via usandbeyond.com/hotels. Or get a room or whole apartment via Airbnb on usandbeyond.com we offer $25 dollars off your first stay see the advertising button on the site.
* Extraordinary needs. If you have medicines or other needs that are going to require special planning, get out ahead of that too. If there are business needs you will require upon your arrival, you can ship things ahead of yourself so that equipment is waiting in your destination office when you arrive.
* Dealing with security. Remember that security at some airports is tight and the rules change from time to time. You can usually find the current restrictions and ways the airlines will allow you to travel on the internet. By knowing this in advance, you can avoid a lot of heartache when you get to the airport.
* Money. You don’t want to have wads of cash with you when you travel but think ahead about how much cash and other monetary needs you should have. Travel with plenty of credit at your disposal. Emergency situations on the road can be defrayed with good credit or you can find yourself in a real jam without it. If you are traveling overseas, become familiar with the monetary system you will be using there.
* Things you take for granted. Little things mean a lot. If you have creature comforts you need in the hotel room, think about them and pack such things so you can feel as at home as possible. Something as small as your favourite pillow or a scented candle to relax you can make all the difference in your ability to rest and be ready for business the next day.
By doing plenty of good planning, you can assure yourself that you have what you need on the trip and nothing more. This will become more natural as you travel more. Always be prepared before you travel and you can be confident everything is well taken care of.
USandBeyond.com predicts that business travel in 2018 will focus on the ASEAN nations including Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia,Philippines, Singapore, Myanmar (Burma), Cambodia, Laos and Brunei. You can book your flight and hotel on this website.
Get in Touch if you would like to contribute your business travel experience and become a contributor / author on USandBeyond.com. This is a great opportunity to share your business, content, experiences and videos. Fill in the form at: usandbeyond.com/contact-us
If you require an international speaker on managing culture, women in enterprise or enabling client focus for a business event visit: lenabenjamin.com